Brazil Visa was the first Visa that I was trying to get for my South America trip. I was anxious. I had all the documents ready. My only concern was my employment status which was going to be ‘unemployed’ while traveling. Also, I had no other Visa on my passport except Sri Lanka to make my case stronger.
Apart from me, there were all third party agents at the embassy with multiple forms and still my turn at the window took the longest. The lady at the counter went inside to speak to the Consular I guess then came back and asked me a couple of questions like ‘Are you looking for a job in Brazil’, ‘Do you know anyone there’, ‘Why Brazil/ South America’, ‘Can you speak Portuguese’, etc.
I was very calm and told her in total honestly that I just want to travel the southern part of the continent for 3 months. She accepted the documents and told me I might be called for an interview which I was absolutely okay with as I was going to be in Mumbai during that time.
I was not called for an interview. After 5 business days when I went to collect my passport I had my first Visa in place. 90 days multiple entry. This was the moment I could see my trip taking shape.
Cost: Rs 6400 (in the form of Demand draft payable in favour of “Consulate General of Brazil”)
Processing Time: 5 working days
Visa Requested: 30 days
Visa Issued: 90 days multiple entry (this is the standard tourist Visa)
Validity: One year from the date of Issue
Online form: scedv.serpro.gov.br
Brazil Visa Requirements:
- Print of online form
- Round ticket
- Hotel bookings (Reservation from Booking.com will do. I showed my stay only for 10 days in the beginning of the trip and 10 days towards the end of 3 months)
- DD of Rs. 6400/-
- Attested bank statements from last 6 months (I showed around Rs. 1.7 lakhs in my bank account)
- Covering letter to convey intent of the travel
Brazil Visa in Bogota, Colombia:
I had to apply for a new Visa as the first one expired after 90 days and I was returning to Brazil after about 11 months of first entering the country.
Process was the same in Colombia. Fill the online form, hard copy of all these documents only difference was bank statements didn’t need attestation.
- Visa Application form: https://scedv.serpro.gov.br/frscedv/index.jsp
- Address: Calle 93 no. 14-20, 8th Floor
- Phone: +57-1-2180800
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
It took 10 working days but the people were really nice. They accepted my form and asked no questions. I went to explain my application because I was worried it would get rejected owing to low funds.
Also, I was applying on my new passport as between my first and second entry, I was mugged and had lost my passport. So, my old Visa was no use.
Note: There are two machines available at the embassy to fill the online form and take a print there itself
Brazil Visa in La Paz, Bolivia
Now, I don’t have a habit of going to every embassy in each country. I was there because earlier my plan was to return to Brazil from Peru and then head to India.
Brazil Visa in La Paz, Bolivia, takes only two working days.
- Working Hours: 0900 hours to 1500 hours , Monday to Friday
- Website to fill the online form: https://formulario-mre.serpro.gov.br
- Email: email@example.com
- Phone: 591-2216-6400
Other Documents needed:
- Valid Passport: Validity of at least 6 more months
- One photo: 4*4 cm/ 480*640 pixels, white background
- Return ticket from Brazil
- Evidence of means to finance the stay in Brazil: Credit card/bank statements of last 3 months
- Yellow fever vaccination (Recommended)
- Angola : $180
- Algeria: $80
- Australia: $120
- Canada: $80
- North Korea: $80
- UAE: $80
- Japan: $80
- Nigeria: $80
- USA: $160
- Other Nationals: $80
*UAE Nationals have to pay an additional processing fee for the Visa
The most difficult part here was filling the online form as the total size of documents couldn’t exceed 2 MB and with all the bank statements it was very difficult. I was really concerned they would not accept my blurred version of the passport I attached on my online form. Eventually, none of it created a problem. But, be ready with your lightest version of documents while filling the online form.